Search Blackpool and Lancashire

21 August 2022

Stanley Park Bowling Greens

  • Stephen Cheatley in his YouTube post highlighted suggestions that part of the 6 unused bowling greens might be used as a car park.




I hope not.

I've always found it a disappointment to find these crown greens unused and neglected since moving to the town nearly 4 years ago.

My grandparents were keen crown green  bowlers and my grandad, Alf, was often winning cups in his hometown of Huddersfield. 40 -odd years ago my brother and I played flat green bowls in Hemel Hempstead, but I haven't done much since those times.

 I've got a set of woods. Used them once, about 10 years ago and got a trapped nerve in my buttock, and haven't  tried it since.

 I've also got a set of metal boules, the French game, I think, and I'd love to play that if anyone fancies that let me know. Perhaps part of one of these 6 unused greens could be used? It would need adapting as 'a dedicated playing area for boules-type games are typically large, level, rectangular courts made of flattened earth, gravel, or crushed stone, enclosed in wooden rails or back boards' (Wikipedia).






Find more posts in this Blackpool Lancs, A-Z Index.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All posts are moderated